Hey guys! My husband got home from his shift away tonight and decided he would pick everything in the backyard. He picked all the cherries off our trees, picked strawberries, lettuce and onions. We had such a delicious fresh salad for dinner and my little one took care of the other strawberries but we still had two huge bowls of cherries. They are sour cherries from Valentine and Cupid trees so not ones you can just eat.
I decided to make some cherry pie filling. I used this recipe off Pinterest. I had all the ingredients which is always a bonus. This was super easy to make and didn’t take very long either. I also doubled the recipe because we had so many cherries.
First add the cherries, sugar and lemon to a pot over medium heat. Give it a couple stirs to dissolve the sugar. I did find this to be a lot of sugar so next time I want to try cutting out some or substituting some with coconut sugar.
While it’s heating up make the cornstarch mixture then add it to the pot before the cherries start to boil. If you wait too long the mixture will become lumpy.
Keep stirring the cherries until they begin to boil and the mixture thickens. You will notice a slight glossy shine and know it’s time to remove it from the heat.
That’s it! It’s simple and so delicious. I love cherry pie filling and can eat it straight out of the can. My husband isn’t a fan and never eats cherry desserts but he loved this. And because I doubled the recipe I have enough to make another dessert!
- 3 cups pitted sour cherries
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 heaping tsps of corn starch mixture
- Mix cherries, sugar, and lemon juice in a pot over medium heat.
- Stir mixture until sugar dissolves.
- Mix cornstarch in a bowl with just enough water to make a smooth mixture and add it to the cherries before they begin to boil. (This is important so the mixture doesn’t get lumpy)
- Continue stirring the cherries until the mixture thickens and gets a glossy shine.
I hope you enjoy! I’m already thinking of another way to use the extra pie filling, if it makes it that long without me eating it!