Ok mamas I know there are a lot of lists out there of what to pack for your hospital bag but they are way too full! I don’t know maybe they are all American and the hospitals are different but they are recommending you bring waaaaay too much! I had a caesarian section so my husband had to carry baby and the bags and if I would have packed what those lists suggested then he would have had to make 5 trips!
Speaking of my husband, here he is with his new baby girl.
I suggest only filling 2 bags. One for you and your partner and one for the baby. This way they can be carried down in one trip. Parking can sometimes be a far walk and you will already have the car seat and your new bundle! Here’s the 2 I took.
Here are my Tips for Packing
- 1 super comfortable, loose outfit to wear home ( I packed a cute dress and it stayed in the bag and I went home in p.j.’s and a robe)
- you can bring pajamas but they also provide you with a hospital robe (I loved the nightgown I brought that zipped down for nursing or up from the bottom when they had to check you)
- housecoat to wear over that hospital robe while you walk the halls
- nursing bra and nipple cream
- flip flops for shower if you are worried about warts like I was
- I would bring a pair of underwear but I didn’t wear them, they provide you with those huge hospital ones. Wear them. They are the best. That is all.
- 1 change of clothes
- a small toiletry bag for mom and partner
- phone charger
- camera if you want (we took it but never ended up using it)
- nursing pillow would be a bonus (we never had it but wished I did)
- mittens (so babe doesn’t scratch) and a light weight cap
- blanket to cover babe when you go outside
- a couple sleepers
- going home outfit (check weather)
- you can pack diapers and creams and swaddlers but the hospital has all of it
Here’s my little in her going home outfit.
I hope this helps. Just remember not to over pack. My first attempt at packing had 3 bags plus my huge travel purse. The hospital has a lot of stuff to use for free so use their things. Free is good because baby is expensive!
Good night mamas!